Empower yourself or your institution through a training or facilitation. I offer workshops and coaching sessions in science communication, strategy development, and more.
Recent and Upcoming Events
So You Want To Be a Science Writer?
A #CareerSciComm Workshop
Presented for the Biology Department Colloquium
Instructor: Ben Young Landis
February 22, 2021 | Virtual
Invited Lecture, Sonoma State University
Browse our growing portfolio at www.cr8xt.com/tag/coaching or peruse select offerings below.
To inquire about booking a workshop for your university, organization, or conference, please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Connecting with Your Audience: Tools for Effective Science Communication — A lively, interactive primer on conversational scicomm for technical professionals. Created and taught by Ben Young Landis
- AdSciComm: An Exercise in Getting People to Care About Science — A team-based workshop helping current scicomm professionals further flex their creative freedom. Created and taught by Ben Young Landis
- #SciPolComm 101: Navigating Policymaker Mindsets — An introduction to policymaking designed for researchers and science trainees. Created by Ben Young Landis and Gabby Nepomuceno PhD
- #SciPolComm 102: Understanding the California State Legislature — An overview of the sequence, timing and checkpoints within California’s legislative process, and how to track it. Created by Ben Young Landis and Sarah E. Brady PhD
- #SciPolComm 103: Communicating with the California State Legislature — An overview of the staffers and consultants who work the hearings and backrooms of California’s legislative process, and three go-to tools for communicating your science advice or advocacy position. Created by Ben Young Landis and Debra A. Cooper PhD
- So You Want To Be a Science Writer: A Tour of Careers and Pathways — A fun introduction to science writing careers geared for undergraduate and graduate students. Taught by Ben Young Landis
- “SciComm Therapy” Office Hours — Prepaid packages for on-demand office hours offering one-on-one consulting and advice for professional development in science communication and personal branding. Led by Ben Young Landis
- Personal Branding Coaching — A three-part, one-on-one service helping individuals explore and map their vocational fit and career advancement strategy. Developed and guided by Ben Young Landis
- Storytelling Résumé Coaching — Personalized coaching and editing of professional résumés using storytelling skills and formats. Guided by Ben Young Landis
Select Clients and Conferences: UC Santa Cruz Coastal Science & Policy • UC Davis University Writing Program • UC Davis First-Year Seminar Program • UC Davis FUTURE • Sonoma State University • Sigma Xi Annual Meeting and Student Research Conference • Science Talk ’19 • Science Talk ’18 • SCONC Think-n-Drink • SETAC North America Annual Meeting • NorCal SETAC Annual Meetings • Duke University Nicholas School of the Environment • John Beath Environmental • Delta Science Fellows Program • California Department of Water Resources Quality Assurance Program • CCST Science & Technology Policy Fellowship • California Council on Science and Technology (CCST) • postdoctoral researchers and professors • early and mid-career professionals
Praise for Trainings
This course has helped me to distill my research ‘story’ to communicate the importance of my work to any audience. Every scientist needs more training like this!Krista Hoffman PhD, President, NorCal SETAC (For “Connecting with Your Audience: Tools for Effective Science Communication”)
Great workshop! Highly recommend this to both new and experienced scientists.Richard E. Connon PhD, Associate Adjunct Professor in Molecular, Cellular and Integrative Physiology, UC Davis (For “Connecting with Your Audience: Tools for Effective Science Communication”)
This was an insightful workshop and a great way to practice some light science improv in a relaxed setting. Great for anyone looking to gain confidence or get practice explaining something complex!Victoria Strait, PhD Candidate in Astrophysics, UC Davis (For “Connecting with Your Audience: Tools for Effective Science Communication”)
Engaging, energetic and relevantAndrea Paz-Lacavex, Masters Student in Coastal Science & Policy, UC Santa Cruz (For “SciPolComm 101: Navigating Policymaker Mindsets”)
A must have for everyone who is going to influence policy or understand how to intervene policiesSiti Indriasari Galuh Sekar Arum, Masters Student in Coastal Science & Policy, UC Santa Cruz (For “SciPolComm 101: Navigating Policymaker Mindsets”)
I appreciated the relationship of ‘this is how science does things’ and ‘this is how policy does it the same or differently.’Keighley Reisenauer, PhD Candidate in Cellular and Molecular Biology, Baylor University (For “SciPolComm 101: Navigating Policymaker Mindsets”)
It was engaging and well organized! I enjoyed diving into the bill-making process to see the big picture and imagining how I might contribute to the long-term goals of policy making.Amy Becker, PhD Candidate in Biomedical Engineering, UC Davis (For “SciPolComm 102: Understanding the California State Legislature”)
Ben is a wealth of information! This workshop is a great crash course in the California legislature and how to be effective as a scientist entering into the policy world!Samantha Werth, PhD Candidate in Animal Biology, UC Davis (For “SciPolComm 102: Understanding the California State Legislature”)